Falls Prevention Education
Every year, 1 in 3 people aged 65 years and over has a fall. Up to 66% of falls result in injuries such as fractures, cuts, bruises, strains and sprains.
Some ways you can help prevent a fall include:
- do exercises that help with your strength and balance
- use a walking aid
- have regular eye tests
- manage your medications
- look after your feet
- wear suitable shoes
- keep your home safe from trip hazards.
We run a variety of services and groups to give information and support that can help you maintain your balance and ability to move around and reduce your chances of having a fall. Some of the services that can help include:
- exercise groups to help with your strength and balance and reduce your risk of having a fall
- education sessions for community groups
- physiotherapy assessments and advice on exercises and walking aids
- advice on suitable and safe footwear
- home based assessment including advice on equipment or modifications to improve your safety.
- personal alarm assessments
Please speak to one of our intake and referral workers about which service or group is best for you.
Who can use these services?
Clients who are at risk of falling or interested in learning about how to prevent falls can use these services and attend groups.
Where are the services offered?
The services and groups are offered at the following locations:
- South Melbourne
- St Kilda
When are these services offered?
The services and groups are at different times from Monday to Friday, 9am to 5pm.
How much do these services cost?
The costs vary depending on the particular service or group.
To learn more please telephone: 9525 1300
Or email email@example.com
Full details about our groups can be found in It’s Happening.
- Community Directory Support socially inclusive cafes & organisations in our local area, using the ISCH ‘Welcome’ directory
- Check out ISCH on LinkedIn Visit the ISCH LinkedIn page for updates on current vacancies and information about working with us!
- Trauma and Homelessness Initiative ISCH has been involved in some very important work around trauma and homelessness. Read about it here.
- SHIP Social Health & Inclusion Port (SHIP) Residents and organisations working together to create a healthy and inclusive Port Melbourne community.
- Case Management Learn more about how our skilled team of case managers can assist you.
- Housing and Homeless Supporting people who are homeless or at risk of homelessness is a focus of our services.
- Group Work View our Group Work page for a group program that might be right for you.