Cafe Meals Program - Social Spoons
For most of us, catching-up with friends at a café is an enjoyable experience. But for some members of our community, that simple outing can be an uncomfortable, even scary concept. It’s hard to imagine, but some people feel anxious about setting foot in public – let alone making friends while they’re out there!
Individuals that have low incomes, limited education, suffer from mental illness, or are disadvantaged in other ways, are far less likely to be involved in the social activities most people take for granted. These socially isolated individuals typically have poorer health. Obviously that’s not fair. So, what’s being done about it?
Social Spoons is a café meals project run by Inner South Community Health, which aims to improve social connectedness across the community.
Social Spoons members can access subsidised café meals at supportive and welcoming cafés in City of Port Phillip and City of Stonnington.
Members are people living within our Inner South community who are hoping to increase their involvement in general community life.
Through the co-payment and meal subsidy and help of a key worker, members have an incentive to dine with others, and can be linked into existing programs and health services to promote better health and greater social connections amongst our broader community
Research shows that a socially connected community is a healthier community – so everyone benefits!
Please click on the web link below for more information on the program – including our interactive ‘Video Explainer’.
- Community Directory Support socially inclusive cafes & organisations in our local area, using the ISCH ‘Welcome’ directory
- Check out ISCH on LinkedIn Visit the ISCH LinkedIn page for updates on current vacancies and information about working with us!
- Trauma and Homelessness Initiative ISCH has been involved in some very important work around trauma and homelessness. Read about it here.
- SHIP Social Health & Inclusion Port (SHIP) Residents and organisations working together to create a healthy and inclusive Port Melbourne community.
- Case Management Learn more about how our skilled team of case managers can assist you.
- Housing and Homeless Supporting people who are homeless or at risk of homelessness is a focus of our services.
- Group Work View our Group Work page for a group program that might be right for you.