Drug and Alcohol
How can we help with drug and alcohol problems?
Do you want to speak with someone about your drug or alcohol use?
We have specialised counselling services for people with drug and alcohol issues. Our work has a focus on those most at risk from their substance use, such as people who are homeless or have a mental health issue.
We work in a respectful way and focus on your needs. Our counsellors are committed to reducing drug and alcohol related harm in the local community.
What do drug and alcohol counsellors do?
- We provide information, counselling, support and referral for people with substance use issues, including legal and illicit (illegal) drugs.
- We can assist people to explore issues related to their substance use. With counselling, people often decide to make changes in their lives. We can help plan and put changes into action.
Support for family members and friends
- We offer information, counselling, support and referral services to people who are concerned about a friend or family member’s substance use.
What drug and alcohol counselling can offer you:
- a place for you to work out how you would like your life to be
- support around issues which are worrying you
- safe drug use information
- help to access withdrawal and rehabilitation services
- support with methadone and other medical treatments
- referrals and links to other services you may need such as mental health, housing, medical etc .
Once linked with us, we can also offer the following services:
- specialist dental services for injecting drug users
- needle and syringe exchange service
- mobile health outreach service.
Who can use the service?
The following people can use the service:
- people of all ages and backgrounds living in the cities of Port Phillip, Stonnington, Kingston and Bayside particularly people living on low incomes
- people referred by court-related counselling services
Where is the service offered?
The service is offered in the following ways at the locations listed:
- Centre-based counselling
- St Kilda
- South Melbourne
- Outreach counselling
Our outreach drug and alcohol counsellors can come to you if you are not able to attend one of our centres due to problems such as homelessness, safety risk or insecure housing.
- Court-related counselling
Forensic alcohol and drug counselling is available for people who have been instructed to attend by a court.
What limits are there on the service?
The length of time the service is offered is agreed with each client according to need and the current demand on services.
When is the service available?
The service is available from Monday to Friday, 9am to 5pm. Some extended hours are available.
How much does the service cost?
The service is free of charge.
Bayside Alcohol and other Drug Service
9690 9778 or 1800 229 263 (Monday – Friday 9am-5pm)
To find out about other drug and alcohol services call DirectLine on 1800 888 236. DirectLine is a 24 hour confidential telephone service providing information, counselling and referral.
For family members call the Family Drug Helpline on 1300 660 068
- Community Directory Support socially inclusive cafes & organisations in our local area, using the ISCH ‘Welcome’ directory
- Check out ISCH on LinkedIn Visit the ISCH LinkedIn page for updates on current vacancies and information about working with us!
- Trauma and Homelessness Initiative ISCH has been involved in some very important work around trauma and homelessness. Read about it here.
- SHIP Social Health & Inclusion Port (SHIP) Residents and organisations working together to create a healthy and inclusive Port Melbourne community.
- Case Management Learn more about how our skilled team of case managers can assist you.
- Housing and Homeless Supporting people who are homeless or at risk of homelessness is a focus of our services.
- Group Work View our Group Work page for a group program that might be right for you.