Community and Pulmonary Rehabilitation
What is community rehabilitation?
The Alfred health / ISCH Port Phillip Community Rehabilitation Centre provides a rehabilitation program for adults who have recently had a change in their health. Our team includes physiotherapists (for exercise and strength), occupational therapists (for help with daily tasks), a speech therapist (for help with talking, language and swallowing), a social worker (for help with family/social issues), a nurse and allied health assistants (for your general health and wellbeing). Our staff will chat with you to work out what you most want to be able to do at home, with family or at work, and will, with your input, work out a plan to help you do just that. Your plan might involve going to a speech therapy group, attending a hydrotherapy (exercises in the pool) class or working with an allied health assistant to be able to get on and off public transport comfortably and safely.
Who can use the service?
People living in the Cities of Port Phillip and parts of Stonnington can use the service.
Where and when is the service offered?
The service is offered at 341 Coventry St, South Melbourne and is available from Monday to Friday, 9am to 4pm.
How much does the service cost?
The service costs $8.50. If you find you can not afford to pay please let us know as you will still be able to attend.
What is pulmonary rehabilitation?
Do you have trouble breathing? Do you have chronic asthma or bronchitis? We can help! Our Pulmonary Rehabilitation Program is designed to help ease your breathing during normal daily activities and to make it easier for you to exercise or walk comfortably. You can initially come twice a week for about 7 weeks and learn exercises that will help your breathing. You can then join our maintenance program to continue with your exercises and learn about how to cope when you are feeling breathless, eating to stay healthy, how to relax, and how to look after your throat and voice. During that time your physiotherapist will help you develop an exercise program you can do at home.
Who can come to the group?
People who have been diagnosed with a lung disease or who have recently been admitted to hospital because of breathing problems.
Where is the group run?
The group runs at 341 Coventry St, South Melbourne.
How much does the service cost?
The service costs under $10 for each visit. If can not afford to pay, you may come free of charge.
To learn more please telephone an information and referral worker on 9525 1300 or email firstname.lastname@example.org
- Community Directory Support socially inclusive cafes & organisations in our local area, using the ISCH ‘Welcome’ directory
- Check out ISCH on LinkedIn Visit the ISCH LinkedIn page for updates on current vacancies and information about working with us!
- Trauma and Homelessness Initiative ISCH has been involved in some very important work around trauma and homelessness. Read about it here.
- SHIP Social Health & Inclusion Port (SHIP) Residents and organisations working together to create a healthy and inclusive Port Melbourne community.
- Case Management Learn more about how our skilled team of case managers can assist you.
- Housing and Homeless Supporting people who are homeless or at risk of homelessness is a focus of our services.
- Group Work View our Group Work page for a group program that might be right for you.